The week I just finished (week 16) was the week of the Boston Marathon. I posted here a little bit about my friend, Sara, who ran in the race, and I put together a 4x6 journal card with her photo for this week's layout. As I was making that card, I searched online to find the marathon logo and the Boston Strong ribbon (the one I used is a different one that I recolored).
I pretty much avoid the news as much as possible, so I had not actually seen any of the photos that were released right after the bombing. I found some by accident today. Oh my. I really had no concept of the true horror that happened there. I tried not to look at most of the photos, but did go and read some of the news stories and articles. That was enough to paint the picture for me (without the actual pictures). Unbelievable. All I could think was Come, Lord Jesus, Come.
Last week's tornado hit close to home as well (literally). We were in the hallway for a little while that evening while the tornado sirens were going off outside (thankfully, no actual tornadoes formed in our town). I spent the day thinking of a friend whose family survived the Joplin tornado. They lost their home and moved to our area to make a new start. She says every clap of thunder makes her daughter shake with fear. I prayed for their peace of mind and safety.
I don't understand the world we live in with terrorist attacks and natural disasters. I do trust that God is in control, though, and that He loves us and will always be with those who love Him. Sometimes it's hard to keep trusting when bad things happen. I read this article after the Newton tragedy, and it helped me sort out my thoughts. If you're struggling with making sense of the world, I suggest reading it.
Well, now that I've written several paragraphs that probably left you feeling a bit depressed, I'll share my bright and happy-colored scrapbook pages. :)
Digital Scrapbooking Products Used for Week 16:
Super cute spread. I love that green dresser! My son does the same thing in the bathtub. He loves to line things up. I need to get him some rubber duckies so he doesn't have to use the bubble bath and body wash bottles. Ha!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amy! That's funny about the soap bottles. :) We have quite a collection of ducks. I recommend the foam alphabet letters, too. Walmart and Target usually have them in the baby bath toy aisle. I think my oldest literally learned his letters in the bathtub. :)
DeleteLove your pages! That dresser is gorgeous! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nichole! I've been looking for one for to paint for quite a while, so I was pretty excited when I found this one already in the color I wanted! :)
DeleteYikes, sorry to hear about your hives. I get them very occasionally and they can be pretty uncomfortable! I appreciate your post this week. I think there's a balance we can strike between making these fun, colorful, beautiful pages, but then not letting that style dictate that the memories we preserve are only the fun and colorful ones. Your pages look great this week! I love the rainbow mix of colors, which goes so well with the weather forecast image and your colorful flea market finds.
ReplyDeleteOoh, I'd never heard of Stitch Fix. I just looked it up and it sounds really cool (although I note you weren't happy with what you were sent…). I see they have a referral program - do you have a code you'd like me to use if I decide to sign up with them?
Thanks for listing all the products you used, it's so helpful!
Thanks! I try to record real life, and for the most part, we do live a colorful happy life. :)
DeleteI was disappointed in my second Stitch Fix as well, so I'm actually not going to use the service again. I know that Sarah at Arena Five (http://www.thearenaupdate.com/) is using it, though, and I used her referral link when I signed up. I'm sure she would love to have your referral. :)
These are really great pages! I love all the colors and the April calendar card! That green dresser is pretty amazing, too! What a great find!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Stephanie! :)
DeleteHi Jenny, I'm hopping over from your comment on my (Twosons) blog. Sorry to read about everything going on around you. I've heard something recently that encouraged me in challenges: That out spiritual gifting is like a rider on a horse, and the horse is our character. The gifting can only go as far as what character in strong enough to carry it, and character is build under fire. So strength to you! Love your happy pages, and especially the duckie photo. Love catching them at play.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Alida! :)
DeleteWhat a cool project! Thanks for stopping by Wani's World. Hope you're able to "modest-fy" a swimsuit to fit your needs! I'd love to see the ta-da!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Wani! I've got a suit I'm going to try it with. We'll see how it turns out. Not sure if I'll be posting pics, though! Ha! :)
DeleteHi Jenny, thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog. The borders on the cards are pen lines, I love using pens when I'm creating layouts and Project Life, sometimes I try to challenge myself NOT to use pens, but i doesn't work LOL.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great spread you made. The colorcombo matches beautifully with the colors in the photos, and I really like the mix of familysituations, flea markt finds and other things, - perfect for documenting the real life as it is.
Several Danes participated in the Boston Marathon, so the bombing was also a big issue here in DK. Thank God it didn't went worse than it did.
Hope your hives are getting better ;-)
Thank you, Kirsten! I may have to try some pen lines. They look so great on your pages. My friend that ran in the Boston Marathon actually spent the last three out of four years living in The Netherlands -- so not too far from you! :)
Delete