As soon as I opened the box and saw orange, my heart sank a little. Orange and I are not friends; around my house or on a scrapbook page? Sure! Up next to my face? Not so much. Oh, well... I wasn't going to just leave it in the box. I had to at least give everything a try.
Warning: I was not looking my best today. No make up. Hair all crazy (and bedroom horribly messy too). That's just how it is when I'm a little under-the-weather while taking care of a sick kiddo and having to get up at 3AM because there's a tornado warning. Ugh. Spring and I have a love/hate relationship. Anyway, that's a story for another day (or not, since thankfully there was no actual tornado here). Back to the clothes!
I have to say that the clothes look better on me in the pictures than they did in real life (please ignore my shoes). And I promise that first shirt is ORANGE (even though it looks red). It says so on the tag. I wasn't raising that beige shirt up in the last picture. The side vents went up to my ribcage. Can you tell by my face that I was not impressed? I do have a long torso, so maybe that's NOT how it's supposed to fit? Either way, it was a no-go. Both of these shirts are sheer. Not a fan of showing off my bra straps. I did like the v-neck and the sleeves on the orange one, but I didn't like the long curved hem and the loose fit. It reminded me a little of a beach cover-up. These will both go back in the box. What's next?
Again, I'm surprised at how much better they look in the photos than they did when I was trying them on. I thought the black cardigan might work, but then I realized it was sheer too. That is just not my thing. It also sort-of clung to the curvature in my spine. That's something I like to hide, not accentuate. Back in the box it went.
I recognized the last red shirt as soon as I took it out of the box. Sarah had received one in one of her fixes too! I really wanted to like this one. I love the collar and the v-neck. The fit was great. The color was just OK. This one actually was red, but it was a little too close to orange for my pink face. I tried it on more than once. I thought to myself, "If I tried it on at Target, would I buy it?" The answer was, "Maybe." Then, I asked myself if I would pay $38.00 for it, and the answer was a definite, "No."
I also imagined that I was on What Not To Wear. I think this would be one of the things I would have purchased on my shopping alone day, and then Stacy and Clinton would have tossed it out because it wasn't really flattering (it highlights "the girls" a bit too much and actually makes them look, ahem... saggy), and it was too much like the stuff I already wear all the time. So... back in the box it went too.
The final item in the box was this pair of earrings:
I had specifically asked my stylist to help me out with earrings. I tend to choose ones that either look like they belong with a Prom dress or on a twelve-year-old, and possibly on a twelve-year-old wearing a Prom dress. I thought these were too dressy, and weren't different enough from what I already own to make me buy them. And, oh my goodness, I look OLD in this picture! Don't feel obligated to comment and tell me I don't. It's just bad lighting. I'm only twenty-seven... err... I mean thirty-seven. Side story: I actually did that once. A lady at church asked me how old I was, and I just automatically started with "twenty..." and then had to correct myself. And it's not like I had just turned 30. I was 35 at the time. It was a little embarrassing. :)
So... as you have most likely deduced, I kept nothing from my first Stitch Fix. I'm a little disappointed, but I'm excited to try again. I wrote notes to the stylist about what I liked from this fix and what I didn't like, updated my profile, and went ahead and scheduled another one. So, we'll see if the notes I gave result in a "fix" that suits me better!
What do you think? Would you try Stitch Fix?
Just for fun, what's your favorite clothing store? (or maybe I should say "store that sells clothes" since you could choose Target or some other store that's not specifically a "clothing store"). I think mine is probably Eddie Bauer. I don't buy a LOT of stuff there, but most of the shirts that have become my favorites are from there (well actually, the Eddie Bauer outlet store). I would also have to include J.C. Penney. I'm not at all thrilled with the changes they've made in the past year or so (they got rid of my favorite brand of jeans and polo shirts... St. John's Bay), but I like their Liz Claiborne line. Anyway, I said pick one. I picked two. You can pick three if you want. :)
Buy clothes? Favorite store? Like Dad, the last item I bought was a $3 pair of jeans at Salvation Army. My favorite jeans had originally been a little too stonewashed and finally fell completely apart across the left knee. My friends said I was right in style, but the frazzled tear is in an incovenient place -- flaps and slits and rides up and down. If I buy new clothes, they are usually from Dress Barn or J. C. Penney. :-)
ReplyDeleteYup. Sounds about right. ;)
ReplyDelete