Saturday, December 22, 2012

Good Day Sunshine

I was feeling a little ho-hum while I was at home by myself last weekend (after I had wrapped all the presents and watched The Holiday twice in a row), and just wanted to make something. I'm sort-of rekindling my love of painting (I painted a lot in high school, but haven't done it in a loooong time), so I started scrounging around for something to paint.

I remembered this little welcome sign I got at Goodwill a couple of months ago, and then I remembered this DIY wood wall art I saw featured on The Lettered Cottage (by Michael at Inspired by Charm).

2012-12-22 14.20.50

I stuck Just Friends into the DVD player (hilarious movie with Ryan Reynolds, who I think might be my favorite comedy actor... it's NOT for the kiddos, though... just sayin'). I watched/listened to it twice in a row while I made my little sunny sign.

I started by popping off the wooden heart. Then I gave it a light sanding and painted the whole thing white. I was a little impatient, so I broke out the hairdryer to help it dry faster.

2012-12-22 15.04.13

I used a compass (the kind for geometry, not geography - ha!) to draw the sun. I used a combination of a quilting ruler, a 12" ruler, and the edge of a post card to draw the sunshine rays. I just used those for straight edges, and did not measure anything.

2012-12-22 14.43.57

I had planned to tape off the red stripes, but the tape was too wide. I attempted to cut in half, but that was way too difficult, so I ended up free-handing the red stripes. They're a little wobbly, but I think they turned out OK.

I used a yellow and a turquoise to fill in and mixed in some white to make the lighter blue. I actually added white to the yellow for three of the rays, but you really can't tell. After it was dry, I taped the picture, and started painting the frame. I gave it a coat of white first, and then painted the green. I just used Ceramcoat acrylic craft paint for everything.

2012-12-22 14.48.40

Here's a final before and after:

2012-12-22 14.12.09-600

When it was all finished, I stuck it in a few different spots around the house before it finally landed above the alcove that leads to our coat closet and master bedroom.

2012-12-22 14.55.30

I don't know if it will stay there permanently, but I'm liking it for now. I might also distress it a bit and give it some antiquing... or not. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. That is adorable! Makes me wonder what Goodwill treasures I have overlooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) I usually stare at stuff and ultimately leave it on the shelf because I have absolutely no creative ideas as to what to do with it. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a framed wooden rectangle, though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment, so be sure to check back. :)