Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Around Our House

I've been waiting for a few weeks now to take pictures of some of our Christmas decor. I was super excited to do some of the projects Kara & Tim Paslay presented at our local Holiday Expo, but I needed to print some Instagram photos, and my printer ran out of ink! It's really old and doesn't communicate well with Windows 7, so I decided months ago that whenever it ran out of ink again, I would just buy a new printer.  Anyway... I got a new (wireless!) printer today, and promptly printed some Instagram pictures! Here's how I used them:

DSC_9654-600

I painted the clothespins with craft paint (Ceramcoat Cardinal Red from Hobby Lobby). I absolutely loved painting them. I need to find some more stuff to paint! Anyway, this fun little tree lives on our entry table:

DSC_9647-crop-600

DSC_9646-fix-crop-600

Do you remember the gumball machine? I got it at Goodwill several weeks ago. It has since received a coat of craft paint and been filled with gumballs (obviously). The candy release mechanism doesn't work too well, so it's mostly for show. I have a bucket o' gumballs in the pantry if anyone actually wants one. :)

DSC_9652-fix-crop-600

I was excited to fill up that big glass jar too, which was also one of the ideas I got from Tim & Kara. Inside it is a wooden nativity silhouette made by David's dad. The mulch at the bottom is shredded book pages, which I found at a flea market. I love that someone shredded the pages and bundled them to sell. I don't know if I would have had the courage to shred actual book pages myself. Ha!

Here are some more flea market finds:

DSC_9717-fix-600

I love that little tin with the school house Christmas scene. I actually found two of them in different places on the same day. So, of course, I now have two. :)

On the other side of the school room, are the lockers. I am loving them! They hold SO much stuff -- school stuff, craft stuff, wrapping stuff, paper scrapbook stuff, boiled shrimp, barbeque shrimp... Oh, wait, I went a little "Forrest Gump" there for a second. People had fun with my name after that movie came out... Jen-nay!  Oh, did you see that rabbit? I just chased it.  Anyway... back to the lockers. As we receive Christmas cards in the mail, I'm sticking them up on the locker doors with magnets.

DSC_9702-fix-crop-600

Here's another little tree and some more globes (the big one lights up!). I made the monogram ornaments last year after seeing some similar ones at Pottery Barn. Braden was with me and begged to buy them, but I didn't want to spend nearly $20 on something I thought for sure I could make myself. Mine ended up looking different than the ones at PB, but I like them.

DSC_9711-fix-crop-600

Speaking of ornaments:

DSC_9672-fix-600

We put our tree up with all the "regular" ornaments, and I kept thinking there was something missing. Then I found the box that had all the handmade ornaments the boys have brought home from church and pre-school, and put those on the tree. That's definitely what was missing! My mom came to visit this past weekend, and she brought some of the ornaments from when I was little, so we added those too (that yarn hoop thing is one I made). The tree doesn't look quite right to me without paper angels and Popsicle stick snowflakes.

Last, but not least... I finally added a third wreath to the front door. Hopefully it looks more like a snowman now, and less like the number 8. :)

DSC_9720-fix-crop-600

10 comments:

  1. OK so I LOVE all of these ideas and just might copy some!!! Love the instagram tree....AND the snowman. AND- where did you get those lockers??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marla! The lockers came from a local antique/junk store. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your holiday decor!!! My favorite is the precious nativity in the jar, and the instagram pics on the trees, and the...wait, I saw a rabbit too! lol!! You always make me laugh girl and I love you much!! Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all of your fun touches- the photo tree is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH...lockers...if only! Lucky score for you at a thrift store! I love how you put a wreath on the inside of your door for the family to enjoy. I also LOVE that green chalkboard easel, did you make that? I have the same silver globe, too, in my office;) The red clipped insta pics are also fabulous! I do love decorating with pictures...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen! I did not make the easel. I bought it at Red Hill Gallery, a local shop owned by a couple of friends of mine, and I think it was made locally also. I don't think it would be too terribly hard to make one yourself, though. :)

      Delete
  5. Love that photo tree, what a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment, so be sure to check back. :)