Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Yummy!

Braden's Pre-K class had a pajama and movie day last Friday, so we made some treats he could take to share with his friends. David didn't have time to make homemade chocolate chip cookies, which was Braden's request, so I decided to try to make some Rolo turtles. If you know me well, you know that I don't cook. I once attempted to make "dinner" for David and me while we were dating, and we ended up with blackened frozen pizza. I have also burned spaghetti noodles. Really, I have. It CAN be done. This recipe is hardly cooking, though, so I thought maybe I could manage it with Braden's help.



Rolo Turtles
Ingredients: Rolos, many
Pretzel Snaps (small square quilted pretzels)
Toasted pecans, M&M’s of any variety, chocolate covered coffee beans, peanuts, etcetera.

Preheat oven to 220 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil.

Place the pretzels on the cookie sheet and top with one Rolo each. Bake for three minutes. Remove from the oven and press on topping of choice.

First, eat as many as you can while burning your mouth. Then slide the foil onto the counter and let the chocolate re-solidify. For faster set up, you can move the pan with the candy to the freezer, and chill for about 20 minutes or until firm.

Notes: To toast pecans, spread them out on a plate and microwave for 30 seconds at a time. Stir the pecans around with your hand in between cooking times until toasted.


I found that my Rolos needed more like three to five minutes to be soft enough. I didn't get a picture of our finished product (we put toasted pecans on a few for the teacher and plain M&Ms on the rest for the kids), but this one is nice:

Recipe Write-up and Photo by Laura Flowers, The Cooking Photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment, so be sure to check back. :)