Monday, December 28, 2009

Undecorating

I haven't posted a non photo album entry in a while, so I figured I was due for a little journal time. I enjoy Christmas, and I like to look at Christmas decorations, but I love the feeling of openness our living room has after we "undecorate." It's like getting a fresh start. Every year, I look around and think about how many things I want to change. We have had the same furniture and same decorations (almost even all the same photos) in our living room for the past almost ten years. I'm not kidding about the photos. We still have pictures up from when we were dating, and our wedding portraits still have a prominent place on the mantel. I put up a few new pictures of the family recently, and even bought new frames to put them in. The new frames make me want to redecorate even more, though.

I am so tired of all the silk plants adorning our walls and shelves. Looking around me, I count six silk plant/flower arrangements, and two pictures of flower arrangements (David calls them our "hotel pictures" because they look like hotel wall art). What was I thinking when we moved in nine years ago? Were silk plants all the rage then? I'm thinking no. We are even still using the lamp I got for my bedroom when I was ten years old. It's clear glass, and inside is, you guessed it... a silk flower arrangement. I really wish I could send some designer a picture of my mantel or my entry table, and ask her to redesign it for me. I am terrible at looking at a blank space (or worse, a space with ugly stuff already in it) and deciding what to do with it.

I love looking at the rooms in the Pottery Barn catalogs. They look so clean and cozy.

Ah, if only I could just order everything in the catalog. My wallet can't do that, though. And if it could, I would probably say, "Forget Pottery Barn. I'm hiring my own designer."

I guess I will have to settle for redecorating my blog for now. I got pretty excited when I realized that Christmas was over and it was time for a new background and header. At least I can declare the blog a silk flower free zone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really wishing this wasn't a picture-free post! Would love to see those silk flower arrangements :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment, so be sure to check back. :)