Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Braden's Chores

We’ve started using a system for chores at our house. I’m really excited about it, and it’s working wonderfully so far! I read about it in the Duggars’ book (which I really enjoyed reading), and they got the idea from a book called Managers of Their Chores. Anyway, here’s how it works: Braden has a “chore pack” (a clip-on name badge holder) that has a card in it for each of his chores. They are numbered, and each has a picture and a sentence that tells what he is supposed to do (1. Get dressed, 2. Make your bed, etc.). Right now, he just has a morning chore pack, but we’ll soon add ones for afternoon and evening. We practiced his morning chores last night. So far, the hardest part for him is clipping the chore pack to his shirt and taking the cards out and putting them back in. I’m thinking about revamping this part of the system, but I’m going to wait and see. He may get the hang of it really soon. I don’t want to underestimate him! Anyway, he was so excited about it. He practiced his chores at least three times in a row last night and got up and did them perfectly this morning! It really keeps him on track and has made all the whining disappear. I can’t wait to get going on the chore packs for afternoon and evening (but I don’t want to overwhelm him, so I’m waiting)! The Duggars pay their children three cents per completed chore, so I think we’re going to try that as well. I think I have it figured out that he can earn about $4.00 a week if he does everything. He’ll have some weekly chores to do also (like empty the trash cans, vacuum the play area, etc.), so they won’t all be as easy as getting dressed. So far, so good!

Braden wearing his chore pack while eating breakfast (chore #5).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment, so be sure to check back. :)